Monday, January 06, 2014

Take the Challenge with Mou, January 2014 at Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft

Hi everyone, Mou here and welcome to the first 'Take the Challenge' of 2014! 

If you are new to this blog, let me fill you in about Take the Challenge. Every month, on the first Monday, I'll post a challenge and my take on it. You'll have 12 days to take this on. Leave a comment to the challenge post with a link to your creation based on that challenge. The following Monday, we will pick TWO winners randomly from among the readers who participated in that week's challenge. And the winners will get a prize from Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft®.


It's a brand new year! New things to try, changes to make, resolutions to stick to, another refreshing beginning in an ongoing journey that's life, a time to do something we haven't done in a long time. I haven't painted for a really long time, almost 11 years and I miss it. To make that revisiting process easier, I picked an inspiration piece by one of my favorite artists, Henri Matisse and decided to paint a face. Not in canvas, not yet, but on a journal page. 
And here's your challenge: Pick an art piece and let it inspire you to create.


Here's my inspiration piece by Matisse. 


Doing a self portrait based on a selfie I took.


Here's the basic sketch.


Working with Design Memory Craft Gelatos®, a lot of skin tones from the Neutrals, Yellow, and Red sets. And of course, some Blues and Greens as well.

Blending the Gelatos® colors with Gesso and Glaze.


Keeping on working and re-working...

And here's the finished spread. For the journaling part, I used Stamper's Big Brush pen BLACK and PITT Artist pens (S & B)


Don't forget to share your challenge creations with us... just leave a comment to the challenge post with link to your project image(s) by Friday, 1/17 and we will pick TWO winners randomly to win these.

The prizes for this challenge are: Two sets of 4 ct Gelatos® in the colors of your choice.
Don't forget to check back on Monday, 1/20  to see if YOU won!
Good luck to all and be inspired!

3 comments:

Cindy Tobey said...

Lovely portrait Mou! Very inspiring. :)

Barb said...

Hi Mou, I love your self-portrait. It is beautiful! I clicked on the link to the challenge, and got an error that the link was broken....

Mou Saha said...

Sorry about that Barb. It's fixed now. Thanks!